Saturday, May 1, 2010

Guatemala Day 5 - Gruta de Maria

Gruta means cave and boy did we go in one. First I went to the bank to exchange my LAST american dollars to Q´s. Last night Kylee woke up sick and I thought I had escaped it but no, in the morning I was just as bad (darn that mayo.) Kylee wanted to stay home and sleep but we went to the caves anyway. We each took some Bactrin (thanks Chuck) and were feeling better by the time we finished breakfast. I had my first good breakfast in Guatemala! It was a fruit bowl with yogurt, granola and pinions (I think). So good. Kylee had toast...again. We saw people eating these huge crepes so we are going to get them tomorrow.

The caves were so cool, the Cahabon River runs through it so it is full of water. To go through the cave you are walking at least waist deep in water and in places you have to swim. We held candles the whole way through.



That's my waterproof camera case strapped onto my swimsuit. Practical if not attractive...



We started out like this...I was very hesitant.



By the time it got to this, it was too late to turn back. Doesn't it look fun? I would never have done this if not for Kylee. She was loving it!



It was scary because we had to go up rackety ladders and rope climbing thingy´s.



I kept thinking of how this would NEVER be allowed in the states. No safety ropes or any kind of safe-guards at ALL. One slip and you're a goner.



Doesn't this look SAFE? Slippery rocks, steep incline/decline, little rope to hold onto while holding a dripping candle...

At one point in the cave, we got to a pool and we cliff-jumped into it. It was not a very high jump, but the novelty of cliff-jumping in a cave made it worth it.



This was COLD and even though we were already wet, I was not looking forward to putting my head under the water. It's a dark cave with murky water. Kylee made me do it.

Of course the whole group was wearing flipflops. Before we went in we had to make a makeshift sandals out of twine to keep them on. Don´t worry, I took a picture.



There was our ONE tour guide doing all the sandals and everyone else just standing around waiting for him. I couldn´t believe that these kids (college age) never took the initiative to do it themselves! Not one of them. I did mine and Kylee's :)

They had a paint plant at the entrance of the caves so we made heart tattoos before we went in. They stayed for 3 days!





After the cave, we grabbed tubes and floated down the river. It was so cold compared to the cave water. So very very cold and my tube was tiny. I was so busy worrying about balancing on the dang thing that it wasn´t very relaxing...for me. Kylee was fine with it. She floated down on her stomach.





Too bad too because the sun was shining and it was a gorgeous day - which is unusual because this part of Guatemala is in an almost permanent rainy season.





After we floated for awhile, we got out and hiked back to the caves. Since we don´t feel great, Kylee and I were wishing for trucks!

After that, we walked over to Semuc Champey. It was about a mile away through some brush. On the way, we saw cardamom trees, and cocoa bushes. This is cardamom:



I put one of those slimy round things in my mouth and it was sort of sweet on the outside and then sour towards the shell...like a sourpatch kid. Gross slimy though.



If you eat the inside, it's poisonous and its not very good, it's bitter.



Of course I had to try it, just a tiny bit, cause that's how I roll. It's nasty. Once they process it, dry it and whatever, they ground it into the spice, cardamom. It's not very popular in the states, but here it is a BIG deal. Guatemala is the leading exporter of this spice and even when you buy it at sprouts it is from Guatemala - and it is EXPENSIVE. In these parts, they make a tea from it. It's not bad!

We also saw cocoa plants.





Also bitter and nasty tasting. You can see all the huts around here with their cocoa and their cardamom roasting in the sun. I guess it is quite the process...takes over a month.

No comments: