Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Someone had a birthday...



While we were on vacation at Newport beach with the Garn family, ADDIE had a very important birthday.

Adalyn Rebecca Garn
5 YEARS OLD!
It's hard to make it a big deal when you are already on vacation, but we did the best we could.

(don't ask me about that red lipstick)


Addie is trying to figure out the English language. Right now she's struggling with past tense. She may let you "keep" one of her toys, but then she'll get mad at you because you "kape" it. She'll read you a book, but if she already "rade" it then you have to find another one. Don't bother telling her you "read" it already, because that's a color. (leave = lave, need = nade, she makes them up at will)

Last night she got angry because I took a dollar off of her allowance chart (I take them away if she throws a fit or is mean to anyone) and she took the sharpee and was all over her chart. I figured she was trying to put the dollar back on and told her that no one was allowed to write on her chart but me, it was against the rules. She gave me a guilty look and I asked Saydie what she was writing. Saydie said "hearts and flowers decorating the edges" so I started laughing. Addie started crying and saying not to laugh at her. Don't laugh at her.

Addie is horribly independent and stubborn and, you can imagine, that being the youngest child she is also very spoiled. She is also very affectionate and funny. She loves "snuggle buggies" and no one can leave the house without "huggie kissie, huggie kissie." She is a whiz at puzzles, loves littlest petshops, and anything miniature that she can pretend with. In the morning when I do her hair, she lines up all the hair clips and pretends they are people and animals and puts them through elaborate play scenes. She also likes to build things, and COLOR. She is quite an artist.

One reason I get a kick out of her is because she is my 4th girl - and the only one that has ever imitated me. She gets my voice, my mannerisms, the hand on the hip, eye roll, whatever. When she talks to the other kids, sometimes she sounds just like me and while it is not funny for everyone else, it's kind of endearing to me. ("Dax, really, does she have to ask you 3 times?" "Saydie, she said to do all of those dishes") Since she's attached to my hip at all times, she feels the need to reinforce my parenting.

She goes off to all-day kindergarten this year and I can hardly stand it. It's going to feel like I've lost a piece of me! I love you Addie-girl.

No comments: