Monday, January 19, 2009

It's Fall! (at my house)



You should see the foliage around here. Sometimes we have the kids rake the leaves just because they're there -- the kids and the leaves, both doing nothing. I LOVE this land. Everytime I drive up to it I think man, this land is incredible! I'm not a photographer and I'm usually lucky if I can even find the camera but -- Greg took these.

On the other side of the property (Joy's side) we have Orange trees. Addie likes to climb them and believe me, she is a determined little gal.





I play volleyball on Wednesday mornings (sometimes) with a group of women at a church. When I bring Addie, she plays around on the stage. Last Wednesday as we were playing, one of the ladies runs over to the stage and says, Rebecca, your baby is on the ladder! Like I should panic. A) she is NOT a baby B) she climbs orange trees -- the little step ladder is not going to hurt her. Even if she falls (which she won't) it's not even as high as the trampoline. Are we a society that babies our children too much? Are we so afraid of them falling that we don't let them find out what they're capable of? When Addie was a little baby, she'd play close to the edge of the stage. She'd dangle her hands over, peek over the edge...sometimes she give me a start, but she REALLY gave the girls I play with a heart attack. I think I was born without the worry gene. Is that possible? Even when Kylee was a baby, other mom's would be dashing toward their children on the playground and I would just watch as she tottered to the top of the climbing ropes. Miracle my kids have survived.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe its a family thing as I feel the same way about kids and risk. That was kind of the point I was getting to in a post a couple years ago. I don't get to the kids part until the end and I never did follow up :(. I think it's an active harm that our kids can't explore their world without parents freaking out all over the place.

sherry said...

You are right on both counts. Society as a whole babies our kids too much. And you were born without the worry gene. I have never met anyone who worries as little as you. Luckily, you are also the luckiest person in the world, so it all works out all right.;)

Michelle said...

We want to come rake your leaves...and then have a turn jumping in them.